Saturday, June 28, 2008

HOW TO PICK A SHOE


By: Manolo Blahnik

A good heel picks you. Don't follow trends-- follow yourself, you have to stand tall and proud. Always go with your first choice, your gut reaction. This is what your soul says. You have to comething that will make you look even more exciting, and feel even more adventurous than you did before.

My shoes are not fashion-- they are moods and moments that want to come out to play. Every shoe must excite me, which is why i see every pair, every last , so if it doesn't delight me, it doesn't go through. I spend most of my time in the factory; working. Don't let yourself get distracted by fashion; if you did you would have to change to your wardrobe every four months and where's the sense in that? It would make your style schizophrenic. Be original, look at vintage , but do not copy for the sake of copying, have some of your own ideas. Right now, good lord, every day, every where i look i am blown away by something inspiring. I always have had an incredible appetite for luxury,and Russia, and have just been to Moscow. I had never been, apart from in books, through Tolstoy and the Three Sisters. I say always go to the source, always travel to find your inspiration, that's what all the great artists and romantics do.

I was always making shoes... even when it was subconscious. I know that sounds like a cliche but it's true, even the lizards and dogs in the garden didn't escape when i was a child - I would take the Cadbury's chocolate bonbon wrappers and make them little shoes. I was always twisting and shaping forms for the feet.

I think you must always show some toe cleavage. Toe cleavage is very important as it gives sexuality to the shoe. But careful you only show the first two cracks, you don't want to give too much away, you're not that type of girl.... As for the heel, honey, it's got to be high. The transformation is INSTANT. It's a coup de theater. The height of a heel should depend on how dangerous you are feeling. High high high higher, I say!

No comments: